Spinal Confusion

...an attempt to clarify confusing and innacurate information in science articles

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Opinion Piece in Huntsville Times Argues for Transdifferentiation

Making the standard Pro-Life argument, Tommy Glenn writes that scientists should use adult stem cells instead of embryonic stem cells for research. While his arguments are mostly the same as every other anti-ESC piece you will read, I was happy to see him mention transdifferentiation.

They are also discovering that adult stem cells can transdifferentiate, or become multiple cell types. This is similar to the ability of embryonic stem cells to develop into every cell type in the body.
It doesn't really take much to make me happy, I guess. :)

I wish he would have noted that transdifferentiation offers a morally acceptable way to obtain embryonic stem cells, but I have to give him points for being at least peripherally aware of the concept.